Home Sellers’ Guide
To sell your home, you may follow the steps below:
1. Set a sales price
Your agent can help you run a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) which shows the listing price of similar houses in the area as well as the prices at which the houses actually sold. You will need to ask yourself what your goal is. Do you want to sell it quickly or get the maximum sales price or establish a balance between two goals?
2. Make your house in good showing condition before listing your home
- Touch up interior and exterior paint as needed.
- Install new carpeting and flooring if it appears worn or dated.
- Make sure the front is clean and spruced up – curb appeal will create a favorable first impression.
- Trim bushes and plants as needed, and make sure the lawn is kept mowed and trimmed.
- Keep the interior clean and odor-free. Eliminate evidence of pets.
- Minimize personal items such as family photos. You want buyers to see themselves living in the home.
- Consider putting excess furniture and belongings in storage.
- Consider having a pre-listing inspection performed to address potential problems.
- Consider engaging a professional stager to give your home the right emotional appeal.
3. Work with your agent during the listing period
- When potential buyers visit your home, either be absent or make yourselves as inconspicuous as possible.
- Have fresh flowers in the entry way. It gives a friendly introduction of your home.
- If offers are made that don’t match your hoped-for price, don’t reject them out of hand. Pay attention to your agent’s advice.
- Don’t get discouraged. In buyer’s markets, homes take longer to sell than during boom times. Your home will eventually sell; it’s a matter of finding the right buyer.
- Work closely with your agent. Make sure all showings are coordinated through him/her. If you have a brochure box, be sure to keep it filled. If prospective buyers want to discuss your property or negotiate price or other terms, defer to your agent. He or she is the expert and can best handle all these details without emotion.